Skip to main content

Interview With The Amazing Up And Coming Dahshanae








1. Where are we talking from today?

A. I am from Chicago originally but Florida currently has my heart.

2. Where did you get your artist name from?

A. Well, I went through maybe 3-4 name ideas but I ultimately went with the name I was born with, Dahshanae. It felt the most right and really further pushed the motive of truly showing my audience who I am.

3. Music wise what are you working on right now? Are you currently promoting a single or album?

A. I just finished working on my first mixtape, "Relapse" and it is truly my most personal project yet. "Relapse" will be available on all platforms June 17th and the first single and visual from the project, "R.I.A" will be out April 19th followed by a few more really amazing releases so I'm very excited about it.  I found my sound while writing this project. I learned so much about myself and what is and isn't love through this project. More importantly, I learned how to accept my flaws and to take everything that I've learned to make better decisions in life and hopefully be a beacon for others that hear this project and relate to it in some way to help them understand that repeated behavior will have the repeated results. 

4. Who or what were the most significant influences on your musical life and career?

A. I would say who inspired me most was definitely Janet Jackson and Beyoncé. I was literally 4 years old staring at my TV studying Janet Jackson's music video choreography until I had it completely down packed. Same with Beyoncé as I got older. I've just always been obsessed with their confidence, their creativity, their drive. Everything they did was completely genius and legendary and I think myself as well as many girls growing up saw that as an example of true brilliance. When I got more so into my teens, I got into Erykah Badu and fell in love with her voice and her vision. I would say I definitely look up to so many strong women that inspire me to be the artist that I am today.

5. Who are your favorite musicians?

A. I love so many artists and I'm always finding new ones to add to the already long list of my favs but off the top of my head, I'd say Jessie Reyez, Mickey Shiloh, Chloe X Halle, Jhene Aiko, Erykah Badu, Nicki Minaj, and Ariana Grande.



6. What have been the greatest challenges/frustrations of your career so far?

A. My greatest challenges have definitely been feeling unsure of myself and allowing others to make me feel unsure of myself when I am confident in something. I'm a Libra so I'm already very indecisive by nature so getting to a point where I'm completely happy with something can be a long process and can become an even longer process when I have other people in my ear telling me they don't like something I do and that I should do this instead than someone coming behind them and saying they don't like that. I kind of had to come to the realization that not everyone is going to like everything I do and no matter how hard I try, you simply can not please everyone. I had to give myself a mini pep one day and tell myself that I got this and to just go with my gut and that has definitely helped me overcome some of my self-doubts.

7. As a musician, what is your definition of success?

A. Being a musician, many people would say success is selling out shows, getting a #1 on Billboard, and having millions of dollars. Don't get more wrong, I think those things can play a factor in the look of success but I'm more worried about the feel of success. Being able to connect with your audience through your music is huge to me because there are so many people around the world going through things and always have that feeling that it's just them feeling crappy or low key weird or whatever is it. With my music I want my audience to see that they are not alone so people messaging me or coming to my shows saying that one of my songs made them feel better about their situation or made them feel empowered then that means true success to me.

8. What is your idea of perfect happiness?

A. My idea of perfect happiness is being able to create art. Rather it's music, visuals, performances, paintings, etc. As long as I'm creating freely and being able to fully express myself through my art, that is the definition of a happy Dahshanae. Well...that and food.

9. What is your present state of mind?

A. My present state of mind is solely on making my mark. I remember seeing something Left Eye from TLC said in an interview and it really stuck with me. She said that if you can see something you want in your head clear as day, then it is possible. When you believe in it, It starts manifesting into reality. For me, always believing in myself and keeping the doubters far away from my creative thought process and execution is key.

10. What is your most treasured possession?

A. My most treasured possession is hands down my laptop. I feel like my entire life is on it so I'm super protective over it. You can take away my entire studio but as long as I got my laptop, I'm good.

11. What do you enjoy doing most?

A. I enjoy being in my studio from sun up to sun down just writing. For my "Relapse" project, in particular, I really freestyle many of the songs and now it is probably one of my favorite ways to create. You never really know what you're going say so sometimes the melody is everything but I have to go in a switch a few words around and sometimes the melody and the lyrics just fit so perfectly that I leave it alone so it's a pretty interesting process for me.

12. Where would you like to be in 10 years’ time?

A. In 10 years, my only real goal is to be happy and to continue to make music that makes people feel human and inspire them to be unapologetic.

13. Where you @ online?

A. You can find me on all social media platforms @IamDahshanae

  
Check out this article and other artist interviews at: 

https://www.eprmuisc.com/

Check us out on social media at:

https://www.facebook.com/entirelypr/ Facebook
https://twitter.com/entirelypr Twitter
https://www.instagram.com/prentirely/ Instagram

https://www.pinterest.com/entirelypr/entirely-pr-board Pinterest 

Popular posts from this blog

Opportunities

Visit us at www.entirelypr.com Access more tools by visiting our hub page at  https://sites.google.com/site/thehubopensite/ Below is a current list of opportunities available for artist on various platforms.  Music X Ray   Emotional Singer/songwriter songs for new TV series  https://www.musicxray.com/interactions/25017/submissions/new Skateboarding Film Seeks Rock and Punk Rock Songs - Synch Payout $1,000  https://www.musicxray.com/interactions/24887/submissions/new Music Supervisor looking for Urban/Soul/Hip Hop songs for Urban TV Network Ad Campaign  https://www.musicxray.com/interactions/24710/submissions/new Music Gorilla  Blue Track Records an indie label is looking for artists to cover Nelsen Adelard's songs https://www.musicgorilla.com/mg/submission/details/blue-track-records-an-indie-label-is-looking-for-artists-to-cover-nelsen-adelards-songs WDMV RADIO IS LOOKING FOR YOUR MUSIC https://www.musicgorilla.com/mg/subm...

Eminem "Revival" Album Review

The best and worst Eminem record I've ever heard.  Album Rating 3 out of 4.  Song Rating System 4 out of 4 - Really liked  3 out of 4 - Liked  2 out of 4 - Didn't like  1 out of 4 - No response  "Revival" is the ninth studio album by American rapper Eminem . The album was released on December 15th, 2017 through Aftermath Entertainment , Shady Records , and Interscope Records . ( Wikipedia )  1. Walk On Water ( feat. Beyonce ) - 4 out of 4 - Probably will go down as one of the most underrated of Eminem's hits. The song encompasses all of the talents and personalities of one of this generations greatest artist. Unlike some of his prior works, the song is not set on a grand stage but a simple piano-driven beat with raw, honest lyrics and a beautiful hook from Beyonce. 2. Believe - 2 out of 4 - It's interesting to hear Eminem switch it up and rap over more trap-like beats. Honestly, he does it better than most of the yo...

American Horror Story Cult Finale Blog

Written by Jasen Keplinger American Horror Story fans were either really happy or really disappointed with the season finale of AHS Cult. I personally enjoyed the finale and thought each character's story was wrapped up well. So let's explore the finale, dissect the plots and analyze their meanings. This finale was reminiscent of AHS Asylum's finale in the sense that time jumps forward and backward to explain the denouement of Kai (Evan Peters) while also bringing justice to each of the other characters. We start with Kai being in prison at the beginning of the episode. Right away we know his political plans were foiled, but how and why? We see Kai still has a following in prison including other inmates, as well as guards. Then we are sent into the past where Kai is still free and pursuing his lofty goals. Ally (Sarah Paulson) is still playing up to Kai while looking for an opening and planning his downfall. Winter's (Billie Lourd) character is sorely ...